performance

From: Joe Conway <jconway2(at)home(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: performance
Date: 2000-04-05 04:51:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm currently working with a development database, PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on RedHat 6.1 Linux. There is one fairly large table (currently ~ 1.3 million rows) which will continue to grow at about 500k rows per week (I'm considering various options to periodically archive or reduce the collected data). Is there anything I can do to cache some or all of this table in memory in order to speed queries against it? The physical file is about 130 MB. The server is a dual Pentium Pro 200 with 512 MB of RAM.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe Conway

p.s. I tried to search the archives, but it did not return any results with even the simplest of searches.