backend closing channel unexpectedly

From: JT Kirkpatrick <jt-kirkpatrick(at)mpsllc(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-admin(at)hub(dot)org>, "'pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: backend closing channel unexpectedly
Date: 1999-04-22 20:32:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

--BTW, the update below, when done in psql and with [. . .and ssms.autoinv
= 101999;] added (in other words, do it for just one record), it works
fine. When I try to do it for multiple records, bombola! Maybe this is
for the sql group. . .

You know, I have asked this week how to correct some error messages I get
when I vacuum related to TUPLE<>HEAP sizes - I thought I caused the problem
by setting all relname to lower(relname) in pg_class and attname to
lower(attname) in pg_attribute. But I don't think that caused the problem.
I was executing an update query today, and got the message "backend
closing channel unexpectedly". It bombs no matter how I try to run the
query (either from psql [update ssms set technotes = ssmsnotes.technotes
from ssmsnotes where ssms.autoinv = ssmsnotes.autoinv;] or from within
access97 [UPDATE ssms INNER JOIN ssmsnotes ON ssms.autoinv =
ssmsnotes.autoinv SET ssms.technotes = ssmsnotes.technotes;]. I have tried
several ways to run the query, but I'm pretty confident in the access97
version - I have used it many times before on this same database (and even
the same table) to pull over other fields. Any idea why the old bomb
happens? Anywhere for me to check? Do we just attribute it to the overall
decline of morals in our (usa) society??

Thanks for help in advance! jt