Chaning locale sorting order for statements

From: "Albrecht Berger" <berger1517(at)gmx(dot)ch>
To: "pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Chaning locale sorting order for statements
Date: 2002-11-16 10:51:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,
is it possible to change the locale sorting order in statements ?
I need this for a multilingual web application, where I'm not
able to set the locale in the session or elsewhere.

In Oracle I would use something like that :
SELECT * FROM table1
ORDER BY NLSSORT(column1, 'NLS_SORT=FRENCH');

Does postgres has something similar ?

Thx
berger