possibly outdated pg_file_read() errhint

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: possibly outdated pg_file_read() errhint
Date: 2021-02-04 01:48:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

The following errhint in pg_read_file() makes little sense:

errhint("Consider using %s, which is part of core, instead.",
"pg_file_read()")));

Grep'ing through master, there is almost nothing named pg_file_read, and what does exist is dropped when upgrading to adminpack 2.0:

Perhaps this errhint made sense at some point in the past? It looks like core only uses this C-function named "pg_read_file" by the SQL function named "pg_read_file_old", but adminpack-1.0 also used it for a SQL function named pg_file_read, which gets dropped in the adminpack--1.1--2.0.sql upgrade file. If you haven't upgraded adminpack, it makes little sense to call adminpack's pg_file_read() function and get a hint telling you to instead use pg_file_read(). But calling pg_read_file_old() and being told to use pg_file_read() instead also doesn't make sense, because it doesn't exist.

I was going to submit a patch for this, but the more I look at it the less I understand what is intended by this code. Thoughts?

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company