Re: ipcclean in 8.1 broken?

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ipcclean in 8.1 broken?
Date: 2006-03-03 18:49:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> writes:
>>
>> > Can we assume 'id' is on all unix systems?
>>
>> What's your point? The script fails anyway if that bit doesn't work.
>
> Is 'id' better than what we have now if 'id' isn't widely supported?

I don't think this is really a question of portability. The variables $USER
and $LOGNAME are not always set to the current (effective) user, e.g. on
linux. That's Chris' current problem, I think. Just compare the difference
of using "su" with and without the "-l" argument:

$ su
# echo $LOGNAME ; echo $USER
mip
mip
# exit
$ su -l
# echo $LOGNAME ; echo $USER
root
root
#

Of course, if you just want to question the use of "id", that's a different
story.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold