Re: cross tab (pivtor table) sql

From: "Michael Paesold" <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: "shahbaz" <chaudhar(at)umich(dot)edu>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cross tab (pivtor table) sql
Date: 2002-09-16 13:58:23
Lists: pgsql-sql

shahbaz wrote:

> Hi all, I wonder if someone can help me write a sql query for the
> following scenario:
> I have a table that looks like the fillowing:
> [time] [stock] [price]
> 11111 MSFT 1
> 11112 ORCL 2
> 11112 SUNW 3
> 11112 SUNW 2
> 11113 ORCL 5
> 11114 MSFT 4
> 11115 ORCL 3
> etc.
>
> I need to convert the above table to the following:
> [time] [MSFT] [ORCL] [SUNW] ...
> 11111 1 3 1
> 11112 2 3 3 <-------|
> 11113 3 4 2 <-------|----these values are prices
> 11114 5 2 3 <-------|
> 11115 4 1 8
>
> (obviously, don't pay any attention to the actual numbers I used).

I am not sure if this is what you want, but I'll try. So to get
a row for each second with all stocks (that need to be know at the
time of writing the query), I would try this (not tested, could
be quite slow):

SELECT DISTINCT ON (time)
time,
(SELECT MAX(price) FROM stocks b WHERE b.time=a.time AND b.stock='PSQL')
AS PSQL,
(SELECT MAX(price) FROM stocks b WHERE b.time=a.time AND b.stock='MSFT')
AS MSFT,
(SELECT MAX(price) FROM stocks b WHERE b.time=a.time AND b.stock='ORCL')
AS ORCL
FROM stocks a
ORDER BY time;

Let me know if it works...