Re: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

From: "Semyon Reyfman" <sreyfman(at)therealauthority(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...
Date: 2015-02-27 02:42:42
Lists: pgsql-general

This is exactly my situation.

Thanks.

Semyon Reyfman

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of David Steele
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:19 PM
To: Tom Lane; Semyon Reyfman
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] ANALYZE after CREATE TABLE AS SELECT...

On 2/26/15 2:05 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Semyon Reyfman" <sreyfman(at)therealauthority(dot)com> writes:
>> When I create a table with "CREATE TABLE name AS SELECT." statement
>> and immediately afterward use this new table in a query does it make
>> sense to run ANALYZE on the new table in between?
>
> Yes.

Yes. And to be more specific - vacuum cannot see tables that have been
created in a transaction, so you should always analyze tables that you
intend to read in the same transaction where you created them.

Even if you do commit before reading there is a race condition with vacuum,
so it's best to analyze.

Bonus tip: the same is true for any temp tables you might create. More so,
since vacuum will never see them at all.

--
- David Steele
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net