create function using language SQL

From: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: create function using language SQL
Date: 2001-08-14 12:40:05
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

As I was reading up on create function etc. while learning plpgsql, I seam to
remember it stated that as well as plpgsql, that other languages are/will be
available including using SQL as the language. However, I cannot find the
syntax to create a function in SQL. Specifically, how you return the result.

As an example, how would I create a SQL function to match the plpgsql
function below?

CREATE FUNCTION getteamno(int4) RETURNS varchar AS '
DECLARE
unitno varchar;
BEGIN
select into unitno
tregion || ''/'' ||
to_char(tnumber,''FM000'')
from teams
where tid = $1;
if not found then
raise exception ''Team % not found'',$1;
return '''';
end if;
return unitno;
END;