Re: Using oids for fast read-only access?

From: Christopher Zach <zach(at)icg(dot)tu-graz(dot)ac(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using oids for fast read-only access?
Date: 2001-08-13 12:15:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Am Freitag, 10. August 2001 12:24 schrieben Sie:
> Christopher Zach writes:
> > After inserting the geometry, the data is read only, therefore I would
> > like to replace the id's in the rtree with oids (or anything that has a
> > constant time access).
>
> And what makes you think oids have a more "constant" access time than
> integers? The only thing you will save if you omit the id column is
> space.
Because I thought the oid has some direct relationship to the physical page
the row is stored in. The intention was to jump directly to the row instead
of going through a btree...

> Oids aren't really any different than other (integer) types, only that
> they are generated automatically.
It seems so :( But how would you speed up many individual selects on
nonconsecutive rows?

bye,

Christopher Zach