storing special characters

From: BORGULYA Gergely <bg057(at)hszk(dot)bme(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: storing special characters
Date: 2001-06-17 13:24:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Helo,

I'm using postgresql 7.1, with suse linux 7.1 on i386.
I'm programming in python and I'm going to store many, long (approx. 600
bytes) python-variables in a postgres database. There is a way to convert
python-variables into string (either binary or text) format to make them
possible to be stored in files or databases. The string converted from the
variable is full of characters that are treated specially by the
query-language, so I always get error messages if I try them to store with
the INSERT INTO command.
To save them to files, COPY them one-by-one to a temporary table then move
them to the appropriate table and row, delete the file, drop the table seems
to be a very long procedure.
Is there a simple and smart way to store such strings in databases? I could
not find solution for such a problem in the documentation.

Gergely BORGULYA