Re: A more useful way to split the distribution

From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A more useful way to split the distribution
Date: 2001-04-08 04:37:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:24, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Since people suddenly seem to be suffering from bandwidth concerns I
> have devised a new distribution split to address this issue.

[ ... snipping the many tarballs argument ... ]

For me and I expect many other folk on the edge of civilization it is a
total PITA to have to fiddle around and download many separate tarball
files. What I want is to be able to start a d/l going and then come back
when it's finished and know that I have _everything_ I actually need to
have a working and documented product in one shot.

For developers, contributors and testers and I would like to suggest that
an exact snapshot of the complete CVS source archive is appropriate. We
can then track the changes every day using cvs or cvsup - wonderful tool
btw -

What is really _really_ needed is a text README which explains exactly
what file contains.

Personally I have found that the limitations of the packaging systems to
be such a nuisence that I always compile everything from source.

--
Sincerely etc.,

NAME Christopher Sawtell
CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
ICQ UIN 45863470
EMAIL csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
CNOTES ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

-->> Please refrain from using HTML or WORD attachments in e-mails to me
<<--