Re: RPMs (was Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?)

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RPMs (was Re: Re: Beta2 ... ?)
Date: 2001-01-14 02:58:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > It's pretty dramatic to get the 'You don't have permissions to install'
> > message from the perl 'make install' when I am performing the build (and

> I have been having trouble with one of the package files disappearing
> from the temporary instllation area during the rpm build of pg-7.0.3 for
> Mandrake on Mandrake-7.2 using a recent source RPM. I haven't tracked
> down the problem yet :(

To say that I am interested in the outcome would be an understatement.

I fixed my perl problems by invoking the Makefile (not the GNUmakefile) for the
second install and setting PREFIX properly then. Yes, the second install
phase. I'll see if I can't fix this a little better -- but my goal was to get
a build so that I can start fixing some things.

Most of the stuff I am having to 'fix' is kludgery that Peter's config and
makefile changes are eliminating :-).

But having to regen patches and rebuild from scratch each time I change the
spec makes it time-consuming..... But the single DESTDIR addition makes it a
much easier and cleaner build
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio