RE: pg_ctlcluster is not stopping cluster

From: "Telium Technical Support" <support(at)telium(dot)io>
To: <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pg_ctlcluster is not stopping cluster
Date: 2023-04-07 23:00:52
Lists: pgsql-general

>The mix between 13 and 15 here is what I’d consider a misconfiguration.

As I inherited this (and I'm somewhat new to pgsql), I'm trying to understand this. From the docs I read online, the postmaster.pid file is supposed to reside in the data directory. Which it does. So that's ok.

Does the fact that the database resides in the /var/lib/postgresql/13 mean I have multiple pgsql servers running? (Does the directory name make a big difference) Can I just kill all pgsql processes and move the directory into the /15 directory and problem solved?

It feels like I'm missing something obvious...why would the directory matter so much (since pgsql is clearly tracking it in the right dir)