Re: Datatypes and performance

From: "Mattias Kregert" <mattias(at)kregert(dot)se>
To: <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, "PostgreSQL List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Datatypes and performance
Date: 2003-07-07 11:30:09
Lists: pgsql-general

In the case of disk failure, the files will probably be damaged anyway and then i'll have to install new hardware or format+check badblocks and then restore from the backup. I can't see how fsync would help in the case of disk crash. Without reliable raid or something i think this would be a catastrophic failure => get new hardware: disk/ram/computer/building whatever and go find the (remote) backup.

In the case of power failure, you'll *might* have to restore from backup unless you use ReiserFS or some other journalling filesystem. I use ReiserFS. I also have a UPS installed, just to be sure...

Journalling FS will fix the FS problems, so the files are ok.
PG journal will fix the PG problems so the tables will be ok.

From: "Shridhar Daithankar" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>