Re: store in bytea

From: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Ben-Nes Michael" <miki(at)canaan(dot)co(dot)il>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: store in bytea
Date: 2001-08-24 20:45:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> But Ill have to add double slashes and even more importent I will have to
> unescape every binary data going out of the server, which mean in one of
my
> aplication all the Images.
>
> Wont this action be much more heavey then the way I used untill now with
> MySQL (blob) ?
> addslash on insert and ordinary select for output.

Not sure about performance (would be nice if you tried this and reported
back results of MySQL vs PostgreSQL), but last night I found a built-in PHP
function that looks like it would work to convert the escaped binary back to
binary -- see http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.stripcslashes.php

-- Joe