Re: OO / fe-be protocol

From: "Kardos, Dr(dot) Andreas" <kardos(at)repas-aeg(dot)de>
To: "Chris Bitmead" <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OO / fe-be protocol
Date: 2000-05-22 09:47:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

As an alternative you might consider XDR (RFC 1832, RFC 1014).

http://landfield.com/rfcs/rfc1832.html
http://landfield.com/rfcs/rfc1014.html

We are using this since many years. It is quite effective. XDR is available
on a lot of platforms (on QNX too).

In short:
The data structures/unions to be transfered between different platforms must
be defined in a normal C header. This header has to be proceeded by the tool
rpcgen. This rpcgen tool generates encoding/decoding functions for these
structures. These functions can than be called in the code before send and
after receive to encode/decode message buffers.

No things like ORBs etc. are required.

Regards,
Andreas Kardos