Hide structure

From: "dev(dot)department" <dev(dot)manager(at)spazio3d(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hide structure
Date: 2006-12-05 16:01:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear Sirs,

We're a softwarehouse who is considering the possibility to insert the PostgreSQL 8.1 database in our software.
How can we prevent the visualization of structure and data (tables, views, etc.) of a PostgreSQL 8.1 database? Keep present that the person who has installed PostgreSQL 8.1 is the administrator of the PC in which it it installed, and so he could modify the configuration files of PostgreSQL 8.1 server (for example files as "pg_hba.conf", "postgresql.conf", ecc.).

We've also seen that command "pg_dump" allows to visualize all structures and data of a database simply knowing the user name and not his password...

Looking forward to your answer,

Best regards
Quagliotto Davide