Re: [SPAM] Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

From: "Klaus P(dot) Pieper" <kpi6288(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Date: 2017-09-20 18:41:57
Lists: pgsql-general

A VSS writer just prepares a snapshot of the (virtual) machine while pg_basebackup make actually a (safe) copy of the cluster - important differences are that VSS writer 1) is called by the operating system, 2) is much faster and 3) does not need space for a complete backup.

But you are right: if you can ensure that pg_basebackup has finished prior to making a backup of the virtual machine, this is certainly safe.

Klaus

---