Nested-Internal Functions

From: "Rossana Ocampos" <rocampos(at)bry-it(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Nested-Internal Functions
Date: 2024-01-16 12:15:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello ,

I have a query about creating nested functions in PostgreSQL.

I am currently using PostgreSQL 15 and I am trying to create a nested
function with the following structure:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION external_function ()

RETURNS void AS $$

DECLARE

external_variable;

-- Define the internal function

FUNCTION internal_function ()

RETURNS void AS $$

DECLARE

internal_variable INT;

BEGIN

-- Internal function code

internal_variable:= 10;

RAISE NOTICE 'Internal Variable: %', internal_variable;

END;

$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

BEGIN

-- External function code

external_variable:= 5;

RAISE NOTICE 'External variable: %', external_variable;

-- Call internal function

PERFORM internal_function ();

END;

$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

However, I get an error, and I can't compile the function.

Thank you very much for your help

Rossana Ocampos