Trigger Problems?

From: "Darrin Ladd" <dladd(at)newfoundcomm(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trigger Problems?
Date: 2000-12-06 17:35:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I sent an e-mail to the mailing list yesterday, but then realized that I sent it using my other account, which may not be able to post to the list.

It seems that I have found myself in a little bit of trouble. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can help me. Unfortunately, I am quite sure that I will not provide enough information to diagnose the problem, because I don't really know where to start. But, here is what I do know: Yesterday, I decided that it was time to get rid of five tables in my db that were not being used. I proceeded to drop all five tables. I then remembered that there were insert triggers on existing tables which called a function which updated the dropped tables. So then I dropped the function and the triggers. All of this seemed to be successful, but then I hit a serious problem. Any attempt to manipulate data (anything but a select) in the still existing tables which had the triggers removed from them aborts with the following error:

before or while processing the request.
!#

Obviously, this is not good. I have vacuum analyzed the db and that seemed to have processed fine. If someone could point me in a good direction to figure out what is causing this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not opposed to dropping the bad tables and restoring from backups, but I am still interested in finding out what is wrong and what I did wrong so that I don't do it again.

Thank you very much for your help!
Darrin