about serial

From: "Guillaume Houssay" <ghoussay(at)noos(dot)fr>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: about serial
Date: 2003-11-14 17:24:16
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using the version 7.3.4

In some tables, I have serial to manage a unique identifier.

As an example I have a column calld id_data as a serial4.

I have in my tables 30 rows with id_data from 1 to 30

Then I delete rows with id 10 and 11.
Then I vaccum the table.
I create some new rows and the id_data starts with 10 then 11 and then 12. But the problem is that 12 already exists. So I have 2 rows with the same id_data.

Sorry if my problem is simple but I thought that the serial will keep moving starting at 31 instead of 10.

GH