Cross database foreign key workaround?

From: "David Busby" <busby(at)pnts(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Cross database foreign key workaround?
Date: 2003-10-08 21:46:15
Lists: pgsql-general

List,
What are the recommended work arounds for cross database foreign keys?
As I understand it transactions are not atomic with the TCL method. I have
a situation that requires a master database and then a separate database for
every subscriber. Subscribers need read/write to both databases. I chose
separate databases because there are 20+ large tables that would require
uid/gid columns, indexes and where conditions to separate information by
subscriber. I thought that was too much overhead. Should I just use my
application to make changes and ensure references that need to take place
across databases? Or should I add a uid/gid to all necessary tables, create
indexes and update all necessary where clauses? Ideas?

/B