Re: Question on Rules

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <mgould(at)isstrucksoftware(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question on Rules
Date: 2012-02-20 04:16:19
Lists: pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of mgould(at)isstrucksoftware(dot)net
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 5:17 AM
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] Question on Rules

I am creating a rule which will copy a record when it is changed to a audittable. My question is that the first column is a UUID data type with a defined as auditaccessorid uuid DEFAULT
isscontrib.uuid_generate_v4() NOT NULL,

Right now I've got that set to NULL to allow the parser to "compile".
What value should I have in here since I want a newly created UUID?

CREATE RULE log_accessor AS ON UPDATE TO iss.accessor
WHERE NEW.* <> OLD.*
DO INSERT INTO iss.auditaccessor VALUES (NULL,
'C',
new.loaddtlid,
new.seqno,
new.billable,
new.payind,
new.code,
new.description,
new.ref,
new.tractororcarrierflag,
new.tractororcarrierno,
new.tractorpct,
new.charge,
new.type,
new.checkdate,
new.checkno,
new.processed,
new.itemflag,
new.tractortermloc,
new.cost,
new.batchno,
new.editdatetime,
new.edituser);

Best Regards,

Michael Gould
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC
904-226-0978

INSERT INTO table (serial_col1) VALUES (DEFAULT);

Also, I presume you have a good reason for using a RULE instead of a TRIGGER? If not you should default to a TRIGGER for this kind of behavior.

David J.