Re: Corrupt Table - Gettting Desparate

From: "Bryan White" <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Corrupt Table - Gettting Desparate
Date: 2000-09-14 22:22:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Ok I nulled out the bad pages. A pg_dump still fails. I just noticed there
are 21000 files in my database directory. Most of the form INDEXNAME.NUMBER
where INDEXNAME is the name of one of my indexes and NUMBER is a sequential
number. There are 4 or 5 different indexes involved. All of these files
are 0 bytes in size. All dated in the last day or two.

When I did the pg_dump I got this in the log file:
000914.18:00:07.600 [10406] FATAL 1: Memory exhausted in AllocSetAlloc()
Smart Shutdown request at Thu Sep 14 18:07:15 2000

The dump died after putting 100MB in the output file.

My guess is the internal structure of one of the tuples is corrupt. I have
know idea what all the other files are for or if they one problem is the
cause of the other.

At this moment I am doing a tar of the database directory before I screw
anything else up.

Please help me.