pgadmin fails to connect

From: "Helen Hudson" <helen(at)rttc(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgadmin fails to connect
Date: 2003-11-28 12:06:12
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I'm so excited about getting postgres running on my windows xp. Installed
pgadmin fine. Installed cygwin, installed and started postgres ok... or so I
thought. But then I had a connection problem from pgadmin and, from reading
the documentation, it seems that I've made the common error of forgetting to
configure the server to allow TCP/IP connections.

From pgadmin, I get the error:

psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting
TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I've tried starting the postmaster with the -i option. I looked at the
documentation and, in cygwin, the command line I used was:

postmaster -i -D /usr/local/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &

But still no joy. I'm sure it must be a simple thing... any advice
appreciated!

Helen