Re: pg_ctl kill INT vs. pg_cancel_backend

From: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_ctl kill INT vs. pg_cancel_backend
Date: 2018-12-10 07:50:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

On 08.12.2018 20:30, Ron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a substantive difference between the two, or are they just
> different interfaces to the same action?

I think they both only execute kill() and send a signal to a process.
But pg_cancel_backend() after checking privileges sends only SIGINT and
only to a PostgreSQL's backend process.
pg_ctl can send a specified signal to any process. From the documentation:

pg_ctl kill signal_name process_id

Here signal_name is HUP, INT and others.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company