Re: bytea_ops

From: "Joe Conway" <joseph(dot)conway(at)home(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bytea_ops
Date: 2001-08-13 01:04:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

> which categories are present in a column. For bytea data, there are
> no natural categories and thus no justification for extrapolating
> byte-value distribution from the info available to scalarltsel. So
> I think there's no defensible argument for using anything but 0..255.
> (I suppose we could consider adding more info to pg_statistic for these
> types of columns, but I'm not eager to do that right at the moment.)

Changes in this rev:

- convert_byte_to_scalar uses 0..255 range always
- eliminated convert_bytea_datum, just pass and use the Datums directly

Results still look good on my random data and passes all regression tests.

-- Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
bytea_ops_r02.diff application/octet-stream 12.7 KB