RPM vs. Source

From: "Carlo Florendo" <fcarlo(at)ntsp(dot)nec(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RPM vs. Source
Date: 2002-03-15 00:30:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I've successfully set-up Postgres 7.2 via RPM under Mandrake 8.0. I've also set it up perfectly compiling the source. However,
there is one difference I need to resolve:

When I install via RPM, the script /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql gets installed and that enables me to start postgres as a service.
However, I also want to install postgres from source and run it as a service in other Linux distros.

How would I do this?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo Florendo