Re: Case Insensitive comparison

From: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
To: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Case Insensitive comparison
Date: 2003-09-25 17:24:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

----- Original Message -----
From: George A.J
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 4:39 AM
Subject: [ADMIN] Case Insensitive comparison

>hai
>
>i am using postgresql 7.3.x. I am converting a database in MS SQL server to
PostgreSQL.

>The main problems i am facing is that in sql server the text comparisons are
case insensitive. how can i compare text case insensitive in postgresql
>without using an upper() or lower() function in both sides (=). Is there any
option to set in postgresql?
>Is there any problem in overriding the = operator that compare text. ie
droping the current operator = and creating a new = operator(text,text). Does
>the existing = operator is using internally by postgres for some porpose.
please help

I have created a text data type which is case-insensitive. Everything is
identical to type text in all other respects. If you would like I can email you
the library files to make and install it.

Regards
Donald Fraser