Re: Big 7.4 items

From: "Mike Mascari" <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <kward(at)peerdirect(dot)com>, <patrickm(at)redhat(dot)com>, <darren(at)up(dot)hrcoxmail(dot)com>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, <jrnield(at)usol(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Big 7.4 items
Date: 2002-12-13 17:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Okay. But please keep in mind that a 2-phase commit implementation is used for more than just replication. Any distributed TX will require a 2PC protocol. As an example, for the DBLINK implementation to ultimately be transaction safe (at least amongst multiple PostgreSQL installations), the players in the distributed transaction must all be participants in a 2PC exchange. And a participant whose communications link is dropped needs to be able to recover by asking the coordinator whether or not to complete or abort the distributed TX. I am 100% ignorant of the distributed TX standard Tom referenced earlier, but I'd guess there might be an assumption of 2PC support in the implementation. In other words, I think we still need 2PC, regardless of the method of replication. And if Satoshi Nagayasu has an implementation ready, why not investigate its possibilities?

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com