ON DELETE CASCADE doesn't work

From: "Miia Leino" <miia(dot)leino(at)zeerio(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ON DELETE CASCADE doesn't work
Date: 2002-04-16 13:08:35
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm having a problem with automatic deletion from the referencing table when a row is deletet from the parent table. This works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, could someone have an idea why this is happening??
Thank you!!
I use the syntax
CREATE TABLE table1

(

id int4 PRIMARY KEY

DEFAULT nextval('bulletin_id_sq')

);

CREATE TABLE table2(

id int4,

name text,

CONSTRAINT table3_id_fk FOREIGN KEY(id)

REFERENCES table1(id)

ON DELETE CASCADE

ON UPDATE CASCADE

);

CREATE TABLE table3

(

id int4,

content text,

CONSTRAINT table3_id_fk FOREIGN KEY(id)

REFERENCES table1(id)

ON DELETE CASCADE

ON UPDATE CASCADE

);

AND always when the table is created it informes that the trigger has created

for example I created a table test it gave this notice:

create table test(id int4, constraint test_lang_id_fk foreign key(id) references languages(language_id) on delete cascade on update cascade);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
CREATE