Alter Domain Type

From: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Alter Domain Type
Date: 2008-02-19 17:05:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Everyone,

Many years ago I created a domain with a char(4) datatype.

Now in my wisdom I would like to change this to a text datatype, but I can't
see any way of altering the type of a domain.

I have experimented with backing up the database and manually editing the
dump file to change the type, and then recreating the database. This seems
to work without problem.

Are there any hidden dangers of doing this?

Is there an alternate way of altering the type without backing up and
recreating the database?

I'm working with version 8.2.3.

Thanks for your help.

George