Object description at Client Window

From: "Kumar" <sgnerd(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)sg>
To: "psql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Object description at Client Window
Date: 2003-10-17 06:06:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear Friends,

I am working with Postgres 7.3.4 on RH linux 7.2.

I could get into the command prompt to describe a table structure.

Welcome to psql, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help on internal slash commands
\q to quit

training=# \d emp
Table "emp"
Column | Type | Modifiers
no | integer |
name | character varying(20) |
age | integer |

training=#

But I wanted to know whether this description could be availed at the command prompt. I am using PgAdmin3. I have checked the systems tables also. pg_tables can tell us only the table and the columns inside tables.

Any idea to share with me, please. I am looking for something like sp_helptext in MS SQL server.

Regards
Kumar