repmgr error with automated failover

From: "Lazaro Garcia" <lazaro3487(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: repmgr error with automated failover
Date: 2017-02-13 14:32:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello every one in the list. First thanks to repmgr.

I took several days testing repmgr but I can't execute an automated failover
properly.

I have 2 nodes, a master(node1) and a slave(nodo2). The repmgrd service is
running on both servers. When node1 goes down an automated failover take
place and node2 is promounted as master, at this point all is ok, the
problems comes when node2 is attached again to the cluster, for
incorporating this node to the cluster I run this commands:

1. executes a clone command on node1

su -c 'repmgr -h node2 -U repmgr -d repmgr -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main/
-f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --rsync-only --force standby clone'
postgres

2. start up the postgres service on node1

3. Register this node

su -c 'repmgr -f /etc/postgresql/9.6/main/repmgr.conf --force standby
register' postgres

Then stops node2 but node1 is never promoted as master.

Why node1 is not promoted? Is there something wrong?

Regards.