copy a postgres dbase to the same machine with different name?

From: "Jonathan Roby" <robyj(at)cc(dot)umanitoba(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: copy a postgres dbase to the same machine with different name?
Date: 2006-01-10 18:01:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

For a project here at work I look after a web app that communicates with a postgresql database. We need to clone/copy the existing database to run app upgrades on the clone database and then use the upgraded database in place of the original.

I've read the pg_dump/pg_restore man pages, tried to google for a technique, but haven't found anything that adequate explains it & i'd rather not screw up a live database <grin>

Thanks for any help,
Jon.