Re: SQL Question

From: "Julian Scarfe" <julian(at)avbrief(dot)com>
To: "Alex" <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL Question
Date: 2005-04-16 08:10:37
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "Alex" <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>

> - How can i select only the newest record for each ProdId ?
>
> 100 | 2005-04-01
> 200 | 2005-04-01

DISTINCT ON was made for this and on the similar tables I have performs
rather more efficiently than using a subquery.

select distinct on (ProdId) ProdId , LastUpdate
from produpdate
order by ProdId , LastUpdate desc;

> - How can i select to retrieve the last 2 dates in record
>
> 100 | 2005-04-01 | 2005-03-01
> 200 | 2005-04-01 | 2005-03-01

To get the previous one, my first thought is something like:

select distinct on (ProdId) ProdId , LastUpdate
from produpdate p1
where LastUpdate <> (
select max(LastUpdate ) from produpdate p2 where p2.ProdId = p1.ProdId
)
order by ProdId , LastUpdate desc ;

but there may be a much more efficient way of getting the nth result in
general.

Julian Scarfe