How to encrypt data in Postgresql

From: "Terence Chang" <TChang(at)nqueue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to encrypt data in Postgresql
Date: 2003-07-24 18:18:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there:

I know this might be an easy answer, but I was unable to figure out the solution.

I would like to encrypt a password field in the table. I could not figure out how phpPGAdmin did.

Should I use PHP's MD5 to encrypt the password? Is there a function in PostgreSQL that can encrypt the data with MD5?

I would like to encrypt the data in PostgreSQL, so other program can use the same function. Can anyone give me some hints? What key word should I search in the document?

Thansk!