COPY to table with array columns (Longish)

From: "Phillip Smith" <phillips(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COPY to table with array columns (Longish)
Date: 2006-06-12 01:38:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me - our main company system runs on Raining Data
PICK/D3 (if anyone familiar with it) which stores records in it's "tables"
as variable length items. Every item has a unique Primary Key (per table)
then each item can have a variable number of fields. These fields are
delimited by Char 254, then each field can have sub-values delimited by Char
253, then sub-sub-values delimited by Char 252.

Anyway, we are trying to export everything to Postgres for reporting and
querying etc (not to actually run the system.. Yet) and hasn't been a
problem so far - everything like stock and purchase orders, sales orders etc
can pretty easily be turned in to a flat file with standard number of
columns and consistent data. We truncate every table each night then import
that latest TSV export from D3 using a COPY command.

The problem arises with tables like our SYS table which store generic system
data, so one record could have 3 fields, but the next could have 300. The
only way I can work out how to export multi-valued data like this to
Postgres is to use an array column. So the table has 2 columns - the pkey
and a data array.

How do I get this imported to the truncated table each night? At the moment
I think my best option is to modify the export for the SYS table to call
PSQL and use standard SQL INSERT statements to directly insert it instead of
exporting to a flat file, then import to Postgres.

Thanks all,

-p

For those who are interested, or if it might help, here's a rough comparison
of the database structure of D3:

Windows = PICK/D3 = Postgres

Drive = Account = Database

Directory = File = Table

File = Item = Row

Line in text file = Attribute = Field

(none) = Value = Array Element (?)

(none) = Sub Value = (none?)

Phillip Smith

IT Coordinator

Weatherbeeta P/L

8 Moncrief Rd

Nunawading, VIC, 3131

AUSTRALIA

E. phillips(at)NO-SPAM(dot)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments