timestamp and indexes

From: "Glen Parker" <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
To: "Pg-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: timestamp and indexes
Date: 2002-01-23 00:51:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I seem to remember seeing something related to this on this list in the
past, but I can't find it now. So I'll be brief for starters.

I have a log table that's getting several thousand inserts per day, properly
vacuumed/analysed at night, etc. A query like this:
select * from log where date_log = now();
refuses to use the index on date_log (the timestamp).

explain says this:
Seq Scan on log (cost=0.00..2053.26 rows=8 width=80)

If I do 'set enable_seqscan to off', it still won't use the index.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I can supply lots more data if needed...

Oh.. :-) This is PG_7.1.2 on Linux 2.2.

TIA

Glen Parker
glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com