libpgtcl on aix

From: "Tim Dunnington" <timbert(at)timshouse(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: libpgtcl on aix
Date: 2000-07-17 23:20:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

First:

1. We're compiling on AIX 4.3.3, 64-bit, using the native compiler and gmake.
2. I'm not an AIX compiler guru :-)

History:

1. Built postgres but failed on libpgtcl, error was a number of unrecognized symbols. This happened when we linked from libpgtcl.a to libpgtcl.so. See attachment for details.

2. I hacked the src/interfaces/libpgtcl/Makefile to add "LDFLAGS+= -ltcl8.0", and added the directory in --with-libraries directive in configure.

3. Run gmake again and it compiled, but failed with the exact same error on pltcl.

4. Made the same hack to the pltcl Makefile and compiled and it works.

I can run pgtclsh just fine. However, our product has embedded tcl and a number of extensions (incrtcl, tcl++, tix, tclx, and more). I'm building off of the libtcl8.0.a build for our product.

So when I try "load libpgtcl.so", I get the following error:

Error: couldn't load file "./libpgtcl.so": 0509-130 Symbol resolution faile
d for ./libpgtcl.so because:
0509-136 Symbol __start (number 0) is not exported from
dependent module /home/postgres/postgresql/bin/postgres.
0509-192 Examine .loader section symbols with the
'dump -Tv' command.

I did the dump command on the postgres executable and found:

[177] 0x20022eb0 .data ENTpt DS SECdef [noIMid] __start

I'm sure there are more questions coming, but this is at least a start. The bottom line is that I need to be able to use libpgtcl with our tclshell. Also note that we setup a number of environment variables, pointing our tclshell to various directories with our libraries in them.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Tim