recursive query

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: recursive query
Date: 2007-09-05 14:47:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I am trying to do a hierarchy design. We currently have it hard coded to 4
levels and the location table has an id field for each level where the data
has a location id.

This allows easy access by level (to restrict who see what) and easy to
arrogate for reporting by division, region, district, and location.

I am trying to make it more flexible some companies don't use 4 levels some
want more, some have different sets of users and would like their own
hierarchy.

My idea is to have a virtual hierarchy (all share the location record which
is the lowest level and a separate file that will be linked with a table
that has the locationid and the hierarchy id to enable multiple hierarchy).

I did a bit of research and found some code to do recursive sql (but it was
IBM and I am not sure I even got it right for postgres).

create or replace temp view test (clientnum,id ,parentid,descr, level) as (

select h.clientnum,h.id ,h.parentid,h.descr,0 as level

from tblhyerarchy h where parentid =0

union all

select h1.clientnum,h1.id ,h1.parentid,h1.descr,h.level +1 as level

from tblhyerarchy h1

inner join test h on h1.parentid =h.id

where h.level < 5

);

select * from test

but get a

ERROR: infinite recursion detected in rules for relation "test" SQL state:
42P17

I am basing on a table created with

CREATE TABLE tblhyerarchy

(

clientnum character varying(16) NOT NULL,

id integer NOT NULL,

parentid integer NOT NULL,

descr character varying(250),

CONSTRAINT pk_tblhyerarchy PRIMARY KEY (clientnum, id)

)

WITH OIDS;

Any help is much appreciated. I am also a little confused how to do a
crosstab on the output.

In the end I will want to get at a data record that has the location id and
then link to the hierarchy with each level of the hierarchy present for
aggregation etc.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel. 941-753-7111 ext 305

<mailto:jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com> jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com
<http://www.wazagua.com/> www.wazagua.com