Partitioning with the index on the master table.

From: "Semyon Reyfman" <sreyfman(at)therealauthority(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Partitioning with the index on the master table.
Date: 2015-03-04 15:25:46
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a list-based partition table and I want to prevent scanning of all
children tables in a JOIN, which is using the partition column. I know
that CHECK constraints are not used in this case so I hope that creating an
index on the partition column would help. But I am not sure if I should
create this index on the master table or on each of children tables. It
seems kind of strange to create an index on a children table where all
values of the partition column are the same. So will an index on the master
table be sufficient in this case?

Thanks,

Simon