Re: Why overlaps is not working

From: "Andrus" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why overlaps is not working
Date: 2006-11-12 12:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

> apparently date doesn't know anything about infinity. However, from what
> I've read in my "SQL for
> smarties" book regarding temporial database design, unknown future dates
> were stored as:
> '9999-12-31'
>
> Would this help, since any enddate with this value would be be enterpreted
> as an enddate that has
> not yet occured? when you arrive at the date for records effective period
> to close just update
> the enddate to the today's date.

select date '10000-1-1'< date '99991231'

return false.

If my database contains dates greater than DATE '9999-12-31' then this
check fails.

This is why I'm searching for a real MAX_DATE value in Postgres.

It would be nice if there will be MAX_DATE constant in Postgres or some one
row system table contains MAX_DATE value.

Andrus.