"Tuple is too big"

From: "Steve Wolfe" <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "Tuple is too big"
Date: 2000-06-14 21:48:16
Lists: pgsql-general

After moving a database to a new machine, I tried a vaccum analyze, and
get "ERROR: Tuple is too big: size 8180, max size 8140".

I know that there's a limit on the tuple size and all of that - my
question is: How do I fix it? Vaccum analyze barfs, as does trying "\d
table name". I tried it on both machines, and the same thing.

I suppose that I could write a parser to go through the pg_dump and find
offending fields, but I'm hoping that there's a way for PostgreSQL to fix
it. If there isn't a way for it to fix data that it's created, that's
scary. : ) It is postgresql 6.5.3.

steve