pg_dump still requires password

From: "Ganesan Kanavathy" <ganesh(at)magnusquest(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump still requires password
Date: 2003-11-12 12:43:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

I want to do auto backup for pg with cronjob. The problem is it
equesting for password.

I have tried with pgpass but still it does not work. I created the
pgpass as per below:

echo your_host:5432:your_user:your_db:your_pass > ~/.pgpass bash$ chmod
600 ~/.pgpass

My cronjob entry is as below:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump --no-owner -d helpdesk -U ganesh >
/www/htdocs/sg/backup/helpdesk.dump

When I issue the command it is asking for passwd which I cannot used for
cronjob to run at midnight.

Please help. How I do solve this problem.

I have posted this earlier the suggestion was to use pgpass but that
does not help. What other way can I achive this.

Regards,
Ganesan