Deleted Records & file format

From: "Jonathan Bond-Caron" <jbondc(at)openmv(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deleted Records & file format
Date: 2010-02-03 15:13:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there any documentation of the binary format of the 'base' tables?

I found that I can find where a table's data stored with:

SELECT oid FROM pg_database WHERE datname = current_database();

SELECT relfilenode, reltoastrelid FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'table';

/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/$oid/$relfilenode

From what I understand, deleted records should still be there unless vacuum
removes them.

Is that right?