Re: pg_clog (?) problem with VACUMM

From: "Stefan Becker" <pgsql(at)yukonho(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_clog (?) problem with VACUMM
Date: 2007-11-27 22:05:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear Gerardo and Pgsql-List,

>When executing a VACUUM, i have this msg:
>gse_new_version=# VACUUM ;
>ERROR: could not access status of transaction 118
>DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0000": No existe el fichero o el

I had a similar problem. I decided one day to "clean" out
The pg_clog/ directory of the database cluster. These files'
"last modified time Stamps" on many files were quite
old, so I deleted them. This didn't have any consequences for
the data (dumps or indexes etc.) or the operation of
the installation except, as I found out MUCH later found out
- I could no longer vacuum the Database.

I restored the missing files from a backup and everything
was okay again, after a vacuum of the database the
system cleaned out the older pg_log/ files on its own.

I hope you get things fixed!

My best regards,

Stefan Becker
Email: Stefan(at)yukonho(dot)de