pg_dumpall and large flat file

From: "Gareth Kirwan" <gbjk(at)thermeoneurope(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dumpall and large flat file
Date: 2003-01-15 15:52:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gareth StationeryHey everyone.

We've got to re-install a server shortly, and I'm trying to do a dry run of
reloading their data onto a similar server.
It's Postgres 7.1.3 on Redhat Linux ( 6.2 or 7.2 - not too important )
We used pg_dumpall > large to create a file that's just under 1Gb in size.
Obviously there's no vi'ing this and little hope of cat | less.
We can split the file with split -l 100000 if we need to.

We want to now reload this database cluster.

The questions:

1) Is pg_dumpall the best way of doing this ( it's the only way I can find )
2) Is pgsql -f large template1 the best way of reloading it
3) How long should it take ( 128mb of ram, 1ghz processor ) - roughly (
hours - days!? :-D )

Thanks everyone

Gareth Kirwan
Programming & Development,