How do I replace select ... into commands?

From: "Richard Sydney-Smith" <richard(at)ibisaustralia(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How do I replace select ... into commands?
Date: 2003-09-12 02:33:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a number of sybase procedures in which I use something like

declare
mx : integer;
begin
select max(field) from table into mx;
return mx;
end;

Postgresql is telling me that select...into has not been implemented yet. what is the best way to perform this action with the commands offered in plpgsql?

much thanks for the earlier help.

Sincerely
Richard Sydney-Smith