ODBC problems with Visual Basic 6, but in Excel it works

From: "Steffen Brodowski" <brodowski(at)eucrea(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC problems with Visual Basic 6, but in Excel it works
Date: 2003-08-01 10:00:08
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello programmers,

I try to connect to a postgres database with ODBC and Visual Basic 6.0.

The Postgres ODBC driver is 7.03.xx and it runs with Access, Excel and MS-Query without any problems by using a DSN-file.

In VB 6.0 I'm using MS-ADO (ADO 2.7) and the same DSN-file an the following error occurs:

"The provider can not be found! Perhaps it is not installed correctly."

Why it is running with Excel and Access? I think it's because Access and Excel/MS-Query uses DAO and not ADO?!

Can anybody tell me, how to use MS-ADO and Postgres ODBC? Whats wrong?

Greetings

Steffen Brodowski
brodowski(at)eucrea(dot)com
Germany